Job Search

ERC will take care of your employment in Germany. However, there are several issues you should draw attention to - peculiarities of German labour contract, German taxation system, social benefits for German employees, as well as the necessity to learn German language.




You have applied for a job and been accepted. Congratulations! Nothing now stands between you and a career in Germany. All that is left to do now is to sign the job contract. Before you do, here are a few things to look out for.

It is most unusual for a work contract to be delivered orally in Germany. This is why serious employers will always send you a written contract. Read the contract thoroughly from start to finish before signing it. If you do not understand something, this is not a problem: ask the ERC's personnel about it.



The most important tax for jobholders in Germany is income tax. You will make acquaintance with this from your very first salary payment. Here, we explain how to calculate the amount of income tax you have to pay and how you might be able to get some of the tax which was withheld from your salary back again.

You pay income tax on all the income for one calendar year – in your case, this will probably correspond primarily to your salary. If you are an employee of a company, you do not even have to trouble yourself with the question of income tax at first, as your employer will automatically deduct the income tax from your gross salary in the form of wage tax (Lohnsteuer) and transfer it to the tax office on your behalf. You can see how much your employer transfers and how much your net salary amounts to every month from your pay slip.



Germany has a well-developed social security system. As a jobholder paying statutory social security payments, you are sure of being protected against the biggest risks – for example illness, occupational accidents, unemployment, or when you grow old. Here, we explain about the different types of statutory social security that exist and what the situation is regarding your entitlements if you want to move back to your home country

If you work in Germany and are subject to social security contributions, you will usually be a member of the following five statutory social security organizations:

  • The statutory health insurance fund pays the costs of visits to the doctor, and for medication and therapy
  • The statutory long-term care insurance fund offers basic insurance for the eventuality of your being dependent on long-term care owing to illness. This usually applies to people in old age
  • The statutory pension insurance fund pays employees a pension once they have retired. Basically, the amount of pension you receive depends first and foremost on your income and the number of years you have worked in Germany
  • Statutory accident insurance covers the costs of medical treatment and occupational rehabilitation after an accident at work or in the case of an occupational illness
  • The statutory unemployment insurance fund provides the unemployed with income for a certain period of time if, as a general rule, they have been insured for at least one year during the last two years and are in search of a new job


Because of the shortage of trained personnel in Germany, more and more companies are ready to hire specialists with the knowledge of English language only, though the knowledge of German language in the priority.

Employers want to be sure that a new employee will master the fundamentals of German language in the shortest possible time. You have to begin to learn language from the very first day of your stay in Germany for successful integration into the German society and for applying for the Permanent Residence Permit. 

Professional German courses are established especially for those persons from other countries who consider employment in Germany as their goal, or have already achieved this goal but need additional linguistic training. The courses combine learning language, mastering specific branch terminology and practical classes. Your employer will support you in selection of a suitable programme of German language studies. In addition, you may take the integration course approved by the Federal Agency for migration and refugees.